The original Comenius Bridge across the river Elbe, built in 1886, was destroyed by flooding in 2013. A new footbridge of span 61.5m and width 4.5m was designed with an original concept as a space prestressed beam-string structure. The structure has a cross-section in the shape of an isosceles triangle consisting of a central compressed tube, three prestressed tendons connected to the ends of 8 trident cross-beams and fixed to
welded end sections.
A precise prestressing procedure ensured favourable redistribution of internal forces and true shape of the structure. The structure was designed as a set of hot dip galvanized sections that are bolted together without any welding or additional painting and without any maintenance needed for more than 50 years. The structure is supported by newly refurbished historical abutments as a simple beam. The bridge is a positive example of a modern, sophisticated and sustainable structure appropriately connected to historical centre of the town of Jaroměř.